We have a beautiful Friday and a weekend that is shaping up to be outstanding. As a staff, we had some excellent meetings this past Monday. We continue to work and examine our practices on how to make remote learning the best experience possible for our students. I am very proud of the way our staff has risen to the challenge. Feel free to drop them an email and tell them how much you appreciate them. Click here to see our teacher directory.
Friday, November 13th will be a half day for students. Dismissal will be at 11:10a.m. for all of our Middle School students.
Please use THIS SCHEDULE on November 13th.
PTO Book Fair
November is BOOK FAIR MONTH! Our wonderful PTO is offering Woodlawn families the opportunity to buy books and activities that our students will enjoy–particularly during this home-centered time of living and remote learning. The PTO’s Fall 2020 Virtual Book Fair will open Nov 9th and run through Nov 22nd. The Scholastic Store Online has over 6000 items from which to choose from and orders will ship directly to your home. Your purchases benefit our Woodlawn school community. Check out the PTO blog and Social Media pages for more information. To start shopping, just click on…. https://www.scholastic.com/bf/woodlawnmiddleschool1
Click here to see the PTO monthly blog.
Repeat Item --- STEM Opportunity for Middle School Students: Lake County Robotics Competition
The College of Lake County (CLC) Engineering Department invites students in grades 6–12 to participate in the virtual Lake County Robotics Competition.
Participants will work individually at home using robot kits and will upload a video of their robot in action for judging in Apr. 2021. Finals and awards will be presented in a public webinar on Tues., Apr. 13, 2021.
The challenge is to build and code a Tetrix (or similar, such as Vex) kit robot to do simple tasks with ping pong balls. CLC engineering students will provide mentoring and guidance as requested.
Any middle school student may participate and registration is free.
Repeat Item --- Meals Are Available for Drive-Up Pick-Up
Any KCSD96 family choosing to do so may pick up free breakfasts/lunches for their students weekdays from 11 AM–1 PM when District 96 students are in session. SEE DETAILS
Repeat Item --- ComEd Bill Payment Assistance Options
ComEd has provided bill payment assistance options for families experiencing financial hardship. Please find info HERE.
Click here for the Woodlawn Daily Announcements
Finally, Covid, the election and the holidays are coming up. We need a break. I hope that you can find someone to share the following questions with…
- If bacon is bacon and cookies are cookies, then why do we cook bacon and bake cookies?
- When you flip the word SWIMS upside down, will it still be SWIMS?
- When identical twins fight, do they call each other ugly?
- If you pamper a cow, do you get spoiled milk? (I am still on cows from last week)
- Why do your feet smell and your nose runs?
- How come people tell you to stay a kid for as long as you can, yet the moment you do anything childish or immature they tell you to grow up?
- Whenever I hear someone asked, "What three things would you bring to a deserted Island?" why doesn't anyone say, "A BOAT"?
- Does someone who works in an iced tea factory take a coffee break?
- "I am" the shortest sentence in the English language. Is "I do" the longest sentence?
- Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
- If you try to fail and succeed, what did you just do?
I hope that you had at least 5 minutes to think about these questions away from the world.
Have a great weekend!