Dear Kildeer Families,
Once again the "halls are alive, with the sound of children". Remember the new song I was working on? I'm still working on it, but this is the tune that is currently stuck in my head.
We had a great week welcoming all of our staff back on Tuesday to reacclimate themselves with the technology as well as review our safety protocols. The time was greatly appreciated to ensure we had everything in place for kids!
On Thursday, some of our 1st and 2nd-graders came back for their "2nd" first day of school at Kildeer. Their "smiling eyes" behind the masks were undeniable and our staff certainly made a great welcoming committee!
As I shared last week, the feeling in the air is one of "hope". Let's keep this going!
NEW *IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR PARENTS OF IN-PERSON LEARNERS*
• Parents of in-person students must submit the Annual Self-Certification Form BEFORE their student can attend in-person.
If the Annual Self-Certification Form has not been submitted for an in-person student and the student comes to school, the student’s parent will be called to pick up the student.
• Students in Early Childhood–Grade 2 must bring their saliva samples to school on the designated day it is due.
Parents whose students do not bring their saliva samples will be called to come to the school and bring their student’s sample collection vial, barcode label, and plastic baggie and assist their student in collecting the sample.
The schedule for saliva sample collection for 1st & 2nd-Grade is as follows:
Tuesday: Kildeer Grades 1-2 (Last names A-L)
Thursday: Kildeer Grades 1-2 (Last names M-Z)
See MORE INFO regarding saliva samples and collecting them.
• Daily Self-Certification is a requirement for in-person attendance.
To access the required Daily Self-Certification Form, you need to log into TeacherEase each day your student will attend in person to submit self-certification.
This VIDEO gives instructions, including how to access the daily self-certification form using your cell phone (iOS or android).
If you will be using your home computer to send daily self-certification, we suggest that you bookmark the TeacherEase website. The link is: https://www.teacherease.com/common/login.aspx
NEW *PREORDERING FREE MEALS FOR IN-PERSON LEARNERS*
If your child is participating in in-person learning next week (Jan. 25–29) and you would like your student to receive free meals in the building on those in-person days, please pre-order using the Linq website (onlineordering.linq.com). Find info about how to create your account and order HERE.
Important Notice: The preordering opportunity has been EXTENDED for the week of Jan. 25, 2021, only. Please place your preorders by 6 p.m. on Sun., Jan. 24. Preorder ONLY for the days that your child is learning in-person in the school building. (Do not order for the remote learning days.)
For all subsequent weeks, please place your orders by 6 p.m. on Thursdays for the week ahead. (For example, be sure you have placed your preorder for the week of Feb. 1–5 no later than Thurs., Jan. 28 at 6 p.m.)
These meals are free to all students through the Summer Food Service Program of the USDA. This program is anticipated to be in place through the end of this 2020–2021 school year.
IMPORTANT *Kildeer specific In-Person Learning Procedures*
PRIOR to Arrival: Questions for parents to consider-
- Have you filled out the DAILY self-certification to ensure your child is symptom-free?
- Does your child have their mask on?
- Does your child have their lanyard on? (Handed out on the first day of their in-person learning, must be worn upon entry to Kildeer every day after that.)
- Does your child have a lunch and water bottle? If you need a lunch, you MUST pre-order. Please see the information above!
- 1st/2nd Graders ONLY: Is it their day to drop-off a saliva sample? Thanks for making sure it's in a handy place for the adult screeners to collect. As noted above, parents whose students do not bring their saliva samples will be called to come to the school and bring their student’s sample collection vial, barcode label, and plastic baggie and assist their student in collecting the sample. Thanks for your cooperation.
All students should wear a mask upon arrival. Morning drop-off will start at 8:10 by the doors to the small gym, instead of the front entrance. Please pull your vehicle up to a cone and let your child out along the sidewalk. Thank you for waiting patiently in the vehicle line.
If you would like to walk your child up to the school on the first day, please park your car in the side lot and utilize the crosswalk when there are no other cars driving. Once you reach the sidewalk, your child will independently enter through the small gym doors. Thank you for maintaining 6 feet of social distancing and wearing a mask.
For first and second graders, bus tags with barcodes were given out in October and attached to their backpacks. For any students that are returning in-person, ID badges with attached lanyards will be passed out. These MUST be worn upon entry to school. The barcode will allow us to scan your child’s information and ensure the daily certification screener has been completed by the parents.
First and second graders need to bring their saliva samples on their designated day. Please see the specific information above as a reminder.
Adults will be placed strategically around the school to support social distancing. Once your child has been scanned and confirmed there are no symptoms, he or she should go immediately to the classroom where the teacher will be eagerly waiting! We will not be utilizing lockers to avoid hallway congestion.
Also, thank you for minimizing the amount of winter gear sent with your child. We do not have recess on our master schedule so there should be no need for snow pants, etc.
Each grade at Kildeer will have a designated lunch space, taking place outside of the classroom. Disinfecting hand wipes will be readily available and all tables and seats will be disinfected according to the guidelines. Students may bring a lunch from home or preorder. See the information above for preordering.
Students may be picked up outside the small gym, the same location used in the morning arrival procedure. As you park by a cone, please hold up a sign with your student's full name to show the adults helping at parent pick-up.
Students will be waiting at cones spread out safely on the sidewalk until they are called by a staff member to get into the vehicle. Siblings will be standing together at the same cone. In case of inclement weather, students will be sitting socially distanced in the small gym waiting for their names to be called.
For bus riders, there will be assigned seats coming to and from school. Siblings will sit together. The assigned seats are determined by First Student. If you have questions about the bus, please reach out to First Student directly.
Notes for After-School
If you have any changes for after-school plans, please call the front office or email Mrs. Hagen, Mrs. Wright, and your child’s classroom teacher on the same email. This will ensure that someone sees this change. If you need to communicate past 2:00 p.m., please call the office!
If your student attended school in person in the fall, we have a record of what their typical after school plans were (parent pick up or bus). We would ask you to notify us by email ([email protected] or [email protected]) if these plans have changed.
General Safety Protocols
Throughout the building, hand sanitizing stations, stand spots, disinfectant wipes, 6-foot indicators, etc. are prominently displayed. All staff will consistently work with our students and each other to ensure we are following the 3 W's with fidelity: Wear a mask, wash your hands, watch your distance!
Student Materials for In-Person
Your child’s homeroom teacher will communicate the expectation for which materials to bring to school. Please see this document from our specials team.
NEW *Calling All Kildeer Cougars*
We are looking for brave students to recite the Kildeer Pledge to be featured on the Monday morning announcements. If you are interested, please record a short video with:
- First name
- Recite the following:
As a Kildeer Cougar,
I promise to start each day with a smile on my face and make Kildeer school a safe, happy place.
I pledge to follow the Cougar 5 each day, respecting others in every way.
I am proud to be a Kildeer Cougar.
*Only videos from students that have not been featured before will be accepted. Thanks for emailing to Mrs. Wright ([email protected]).
Repeat *Upcoming Dates & In-Person Learning Report Dates*
Please see the following District schedule, as announced in Superintendent Schmidt’s Jan. 13 SUPERINTENDENT MESSAGE, including the Hybrid In-Person Return Schedule/Dates:
- January 25th: 1st–5th Grade students with last names beginning with the letters A–L who selected the in-person hybrid learning option will report to school
- January 28th: 3rd–5th Grade students with last names beginning with the letters M–Z who selected the in-person hybrid learning option will report to school
Repeat *In-Person Learning Protocols (REVISED)
Parents whose hybrid in-person students will be learning in person, please be sure to review the Revised IN-PERSON LEARNING PROTOCOLS for information about health and safety protocols and expectations for families and their students who will be learning in-person in our schools.
Repeat *Kildeer Social Club*
Kildeer would like to cordially invite your student(s) to join our brand new Social Club!
Here at Kildeer, we all recognize the amazing amount of hard work and energy all of our students have put into adjusting to their new normal of remote and virtual learning.
This Social Club was created for students in each grade level to come together and connect with their peers! This club is designed to ensure that students have time, outside of academics, to connect and talk with their peers about relatable topics.
Here is a little more information about this new club:
- Who: Open to all Kildeer students. Each student will be placed in a social club with their grade-level peers.
- Where: Zoom =) Your student's grade level zoom link will be shared with you by the facilitators of your student's grade level.
- When: 1 day, weekly. Information regarding the day and time will be shared with you by the facilitators of your student's grade level.
- Why: To provide students with the opportunity to connect with their peers in fun, engaging, and interactive ways!
If you are interested in having your student explore this opportunity, please fill out the google form below and be on the lookout for a zoom link with more detailed information.
We are looking forward to having your student join this great opportunity with us!
- 1st-Grade led by Mrs. Lushypynskyj & Ms. Dolin on Wednesdays from 3:15-4:15. Sign-up 1st!
- 2nd-Grade led by Ms. Cristofaro & Ms. Brand on Wednesdays from 3:15-4:15. Sign-up 2nd!
- 3rd-Grade led by Miss Ohnsted & Miss Lynch on Wednesdays from 3:15-4:15. Sign-up 3rd!
- 4th-Grade led by Ms. Markiewicz & Ms. Avedon on Wednesdays from 3:15-4:15. Sign-up 4th!
- 5th-Grade led by Ms. Sadowski & Ms. Wlodek on Thursdays from 4:00-5:00. Sign-up 5th!
Repeat *VAPL Book Talks*
Take some time this month to see some new recommendations by the Vernon Area Public Library. You won't want to miss this!
- 1st grade: 1st-grade favorites
- 2nd grade: 2nd-grade favorites
- 3rd grade: 3rd-grade favorites
- 4th and 5th grade: 4th and 5th-grade favorites
For more book talk recommendations, please visit our Book Talk Help Guide at https://guides.vapld.info/booktalks
KCSD96 Family Technology Hub! The District 96 Family Technology Hub is designed to guide families through technology tools related to Enhanced Remote Learning. On this site you can find links to the recordings and the corresponding Slides decks for the parent/family informational sessions from last week. You can also find tutorials on how to use ZOOM, Schoology, Seesaw, Clever, Notability, and other iPad essential tools for student learning. Additionally, there is a link to email the technology support desk. Please save or bookmark this site. It will be updated with tools, resources, and tutorials through remote learning to better support your family.
Please email [email protected] with any tech-related support needed.
*** PTO News ***
Check out the blog! CLICK HERE!
- *LAST CALL* 2021 Kildeer Treat Decorating Kits- Looking for something fun to do? Why not purchase a Kildeer cookie kit from Original Bagel and Bialy through the PTO! The kits come with 6 paw print shaped cookies OR 4 large rice crispy treats, along with blue, white and yellow frosting and sprinkles. Order now through January 22nd on our Membership Toolkit HERE.
We will also be giving away a $25 dollar gift card from Original Bagel and Bialy to one lucky family who purchases a kit. We will randomly draw a name on January 27th and you can pick up your gift card when you pick up your kits.
Once you decorate your cookies, don't forget to send a picture of them with your child or children for the yearbook to the yearbook email: [email protected] Please reach out to the PTO with any questions at [email protected]
- LIGHT UP this season with a Light-up Card Making Stem Kit purchased by the PTO for all Kildeer students. They can explore the STEM of circuits and create a unique greeting card for a loved one. Kits are available for pickup at Kildeer School inside the main entrance from 8am-3pm (M-F) while school is in session. Please note Only 1 per student.
- YEARBOOK NEEDS YOUR HELP: If your child did not participate in picture day this year, please check out the information below to upload your own yearbook picture:
Parents and teachers can download portraits for the composite pages and candid shots for the montage or special pages. The deadline is January 31st, 2021.
If you are submitting an individual student portrait picture, please try for the shoulders and up with a solid blue or neutral background!
If you have any questions about this, thanks for reaching out to Charissa Stoldola: [email protected]
I'm very eager to welcome our 3rd-5th graders back next week as well. They have not stepped foot in Kildeer since March. I also put myself in the shoes of any new students to Kildeer. Walking into a school that you've never been to before can feel scary or anxious. It's ok to feel all sorts of feelings, just know we have incredible adults here to help!
My final thoughts for today:
1) No matter what learning choice you made for your child or together as a family, there is no wrong answer. We are committed to providing high-quality instruction for ALL students. The decision you made together is the right one.
2) These Kildeer teachers are incredible. Staff, if you are reading this right now, you are my heroes!
3) We continue to get feedback from our family celebration last week and I wanted to share with you how families described our time together. What a feel-good way to end our awesome week!
Enjoy the weekend ahead!
Mrs. Vail Kieser